Aartjan Beekman studied medicine at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (1977-1985). He specialized in Psychiatry at GGZ-BuitenAmstel and the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (1987-1991).
He was trained in Child and adolescent psychiatry at Curium Oegstgeest and Social Psychiatry at the CRD Amsterdam.
He recieved his PhD in 1996 (cum laude) and was registered as an epidemiologist-B in 1999.
- From 2003 untill 2008 Aartjan Beekman was Head of the training facility of GGZ Buitenamstel/VUmc.
- In 2003 he became Professor of Psychiatry.
- From 2004-2010 Aartjan was Head of the research program Mental Health at the EMGO+ Institute VUmc
- in 2007 he became Head of department Psychiatry VUmc.
- In 2008 he also became a member of the board of GGZ inGeest.
- In 2011 - 2016 he was appointed President of NVvP (Dutch association of Psychiatry)